Thursday, August 11, 2011

Tomato Sandwiches

For all of my friends in Africa- as well as those of you who live in other parts of this country- the following may have little or no meaning. But for those of you who are Carolinians, you can surely identify with my saying that one of the great gifts in coming home has been making and eating tomato sandwiches. Recipe? Two slices of bread, toasted; plenty of your favorite mayonnaise; and a couple of thick slices of a ripe, succulent, garden-grown tomato. I realize some folks add lettuce or salt and pepper, but I am a 3-ingredient purist- just bread, mayo, and tomatoes. The result is nothing short of magnificent...to rival the most intricately-created gourmet meal. Had one for breakfast yesterday, another today. And I am giving thanks for fresh tomatoes, real tomatoes, ripe-from-the-garden tomatoes.
God certainly knew what S/He was doing in their creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment