Thursday, September 15, 2011

New Life Beginning Everywhere...

I received this first photo of Pelagie and Japheth's new baby the other day. His name is Gitangaza Cherubin...little miracle angel is what it means.

When in Rwanda this summer, I learned that the Rwandese do not have "family" names as we do, but each child is given the name the parents choose for him or her, chosen for its meaning and significance. It's a bit disconcerting for us Americans to realize that the members of the same family do not share the same last name...do not in fact have "last names", as we know them. Rather harkens back to Biblical times, when "family names" did not exist...those came along much, much later in the course of human history. Anyway, meet the littlest angel...the newest member of my "family" in Rwanda.

It has taken a while, but I think I have acclimated to being back at home, after a month. Some things still feel a bit strange...and I have still not processed all that I saw, heard, and experienced. I have committed myself to making one day each week a "One Meal Day", both in solidarity with my many African friends who are living on one meal every day, and as a way of deliberately setting aside some money each week for be used for the Nyanya Project and/or to assist my Rwandan family. I have resumed writing my other blog and I hope you will consider following it, as I am using this post to sign off on this one. The blog address is revlindaslines.blogspot.com 
Why not consider "following" or becoming part of those notified of posts via email? and thank you for being part of the community which followed my second African journey. Asante sana! Kwa herini!

No comments:

Post a Comment